Cushing Hotel / Afton House Inn

Tour Site #2

3291 St Croix Trail | Google Maps
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Built in 1867, the hotel has been extensively remodeled. Mary Lange Pennington ran it as a hotel in the early 1900s and was known for her “famous Sunday chicken [dinners].” Just inside the front door is a spiral staircase built by Elmo ‘the builder’ Erickson. The inn is one of the oldest operating hotels in Minnesota; it is currently operated as The Afton House Inn. See a wooden spice rack from Mary Pennington’s time and wood carvings from Elmo ‘the builder’ on display in the Afton Historical Museum.

Steamboats and Famous Chicken Dinners

7letter in 1876
Afton Historical Museum
Document location: “History: Village of Afton,” IF Box 4, 2017.01.010, Afton Historical Museum.

1930s Cushing Hotel

Cushing Hotel (Afton House) 1930s
National Register of Historic Places
The Cushing Hotel (Afton House) around the 1930s.

1985 Afton House Inn

Afton House 1985
National Register of Historic Places
The Cushing Hotel (Afton House) in 1985.